View Full Version : Head gasket? repair non f bod

09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
My 99 express 3500 rape van is smoking like crazy. It is consuming quite a bit of coolant but I see no evidence in the oil. Anyone have any recommendations for a shop/someone reliable out here in the far west. The repair is beyond my abilities and I have no time to try.

09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
That an old L31 vortec?
Lots of intake gasket problems on those.
You can hope for the best that that is the issue & not head gaskets. but I'd have to say not common for them to blow coolant into an intake port.
Usually it's an external leak or internal to the lifter valley.

Far west? Where exactly?

Pro Stock John
09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
My old 99 Tahoe was an L31 Vortec, ended up using a lot of coolant and then I got the intake gaskets swapped. Distributor has to come out so it takes a bit of time.

09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
yup its the 5.7 vortec. I think thats the l31. I think the intake gaskets were leaking because it would consume a little coolant. But now I fear it is something worse because of the consumption and all the sweet smelling smoke coming out the tailpipe. Nothing leaking outside of the motor.

I live in Elburn.

09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Well head gaskets are not super common, but how many miles are on this?
The shop I work for is in Geneva. It is also hard to give a price/time frame not knowing what exactly the problem is.

09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Tyson. That sucks. That must be the vehicle you bought just before you were by here last time. Hoefully nothing that bad. I was out in Elburn the other week at Reams on a Sunday, with the Intimidator. Good luck, Carl

09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Where in Geneva? I know you can't give me an estimate over the net. I'm just looking for a reasonable shop to take care of my beater work van. Would this be something you/your shop be willing to take a look at? It has 150K on it.

Carl Did you get the jerky or the sticks? Glad you were able to get the car out for a cruise.

09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
\Carl Did you get the jerky or the sticks? Glad you were able to get the car out for a cruise.

Sticks, and Wis. champion brats, steaks, stuffed pork chops and,,,,,I love that place. Turned over 3,333 miles on the Intimidator that day. Took a picture. Again, good luck with the van.