PDA

View Full Version : No front plate ticket for car parked on private property?

Thirdgen89gta
08-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Been looking for the IL vehicle code on front plates for about 20 minutes now. Just got in from a game night, parked the G6 and found a ticket on the GTA.

Just looking for the vehicle code. Freaking crook county wants $50 to ticket a PARKED CAR on private property. :mad:

They should be out there looking for idiots who don't use turn signals, not ticketing parked cars on private property. :mad:

NoFear
08-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I thoughts it was a "moving violation". You could have NO plates if its parked on private property and not in on public roads..wtf.

Wrencher
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I know they have been writing tickets in just that manner for quite a while.
They're looking for revenue. Dont think there's anything you can do about it cause it's public access.
Is the specific law reference written on the ticket?

Thirdgen89gta
08-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I thoughts it was a "moving violation". You could have NO plates if its parked on private property and not in on public roads..wtf.
The ticket is written as a parking ticket, its a non-moving violation. Aka, no points on license or anything like that. Just revenue for Crook County.

I know they have been writing tickets in just that manner for quite a while.
They're looking for revenue. Dont think there's anything you can do about it cause it's public access.
Is the specific law reference written on the ticket?

I was tired last night and the ticket was soaked from the rain so I tossed it on the floor in the g6.

Looked up the reference, no mention about "private property" that I can tell in the Illinois Vehicle code. Ugh. There are other states that mention it. Guess not.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=13805&stateID=13&statename=Illinois

Sec. 82-125. - Registration plates.

(a)

Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, semi-trailer or truck-tractor shall be attached to the front and rear of the vehicle.

(b)

The registration plate issued for a motorcycle, trailer or semi-trailer shall be attached to the rear thereof.

(c)

The registration plate issued for a truck-tractor shall be attached to the front thereof.

(d)

Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No registration plate shall be covered by any tinted or colored screen.

(e)

It is illegal to park a vehicle on any roadway under the County's jurisdiction if the registration plate or other registration material fails to comply with subsections (a) through (d) or subsection (f) of this section.

(f)

Every registration plate, temporary permit or evidence of temporary registration must bear evidence of proper registration for the current period and be displayed in the manner required by the secretary of state. Any person in violation of any provision of this section will be fined $50.00.

(Ord. No. 10-O-72, 11-16-2010.)

Wrencher
08-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Only way to get out of it is to go to court. Come with something why it's not on there car parked etc.....
Might be better off with no plates on the car lol. But I'm sure there's an ordinace or law local against that too.

Was it backed into a space then ? Or can the front of the car be easily seen?

Thirdgen89gta
08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
It was backed into a spot. I put the plate on the car for now. But I won't drive it like that. The plate will beat up on the paint. And I don't really want to drill holes in the bumper to mount a new bracket.

2QuikTA
08-21-2011, 03:18 PM
By the sounds, I'm guessing this is a condo/apartment? With a house, I'd doubt they would give tickets for expired plates/ect. At my old apartment, if your tags were expired by even a couple of days your car would be towed. The tow company would drive around the complex periodically.

I'd guess it would help if it was YOUR private property, since ownership/management at a complex would probably care less and it's THEIR property.

Thirdgen89gta
08-21-2011, 03:25 PM
By the sounds, I'm guessing this is a condo/apartment? With a house, I'd doubt they would give tickets for expired plates/ect. At my old apartment, if your tags were expired by even a couple of days your car would be towed. The tow company would drive around the complex periodically.

I'd guess it would help if it was YOUR private property, since ownership/management at a complex would probably care less and it's THEIR property.
Thats part of building management though. The county/township doesn't hire the tow company, the complex does.

As far as the ticket goes. I am going to request a court date to dispute it in person. Its likely for this, it'll fall by the wayside and I won't hear of it. Since they want my $50, they can earn it.

horist
08-21-2011, 03:43 PM
just hope they don't try to make you pay court fees... wasn't crook county trying that last year? If you got a ticket and went to court, even if found not guilty you had to pay like 55 in court costs?

Wrencher
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
As far as the ticket goes. I am going to request a court date to dispute it in person. Its likely for this, it'll fall by the wayside and I won't hear of it. Since they want my $50, they can earn it.

just hope they don't try to make you pay court fees... wasn't crook county trying that last year? If you got a ticket and went to court, even if found not guilty you had to pay like 55 in court costs?

Yes this ^^^^^ make sure they wont #@%& you like the drive thru.....

Dan00Hawk
08-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Probably not worth the time to show up to court, but I'd suggest saying you were detailing the car at this private property, and in order to clean and wax the area behind the plate, it had to be removed. And as you weren't driving the car, and it was on private property, why would it be wrong for you to do so? Just come up with answers to possible questions that you might be asked in a follow up to your explanation...

2QuikTA
08-22-2011, 12:10 AM
If you're going to go to court to fight it, I'd just put it on the best you can and snap a pic. Just hope they drop it.

LJ93Z28GM
08-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Unless it is a private home or a building that you own and request for them to not patrol since you are the owner you are SOL.

As stated your best bet is to take a pic and go to court if you care that much but if you loose you are going to be paying more.

To attach the plate use velcro or the 3M command adhesive tabs if you plan to take it back off.

Thirdgen89gta
08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Unless it is a private home or a building that you own and request for them to not patrol since you are the owner you are SOL.

As stated your best bet is to take a pic and go to court if you care that much but if you loose you are going to be paying more.

To attach the plate use velcro or the 3M command adhesive tabs if you plan to take it back off.

any kind of adhesive that could hold a plate reliably would rip the paint right off the bumper when removing the backing. or it would discolor the paint. Its just single stage polyurethane.

anniversaryz28
08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I recently went to court for a village sticker ticket...had to buy the sticker and pay court costs...be careful billy.

LJ93Z28GM
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
I used the 3d commands once and have also used velcro.

If your paint comes off then there is a prep problem especially with the 3M command tabs.

Thirdgen89gta
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I used the 3d commands once and have also used velcro.

If your paint comes off then there is a prep problem especially with the 3M command tabs.

One word answer.

"Maaco"

Not gonna risk that for now.

LJ93Z28GM
08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
I can offer to hold the plate for you and then you edit me out of the picture ;)

I hate crook county.

I just got the letter for use tax of a vehicle. FUCKERS

Bought a truck in lake county paid taxes for the state and then get a letter stating cook county needs their .75% tax of the vehicle cost since the vehicle is registered in COOK. F-You Chicago for the mess you cause the rest of the county, too bad a I own a home in cook or I would be gone.

Wrencher
08-22-2011, 08:49 PM
^^ Wonder why people are leaving Cook in droves ????

libertyforall1776
09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I have heard some private companies like malls and apartment associations, etc., authorize cops to ticket in their lots. I would contact the private property ownership and inquire if they have authorized them to do this!

Another reason to have a house instead of apartment, town home or condo. ;) So was Sec. 82-125 the code section written on the ticket? Ticket was from the county, not a town? If so, the county sure must have a lot of spare time on their hands -- what a waste of taxpayer resources, IMHO.

Often for villages there is an administrative hearing opportunity prior to going to court, and you can attach a plate and bring photo proof with you. Sometimes a cop will dismiss it with proof of compliance even before the hearing starts. If you want something temporary, just wrap some wire to hold the plate on.

Here's another solution (Camaro hide-away license plate):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1xYHHZYOI

Oh, and if you're going to court on your own, check out:
http://jurisdictionary.com
(http://jurisdictionary.com)