View Full Version : 2004 Grand Prix windshield wiper question

10-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I've had this problem for a while, and I think I asked about it on a previous version of this board.

My Windshield wipers on my 04 GTP are acting stupid. sometimes if i turn them on... they'll engage but just stay there like they don't have enough power to move any further.

Sometimes I can hit the switch for a single seep and they'll move ~.3 inches and stop, but if I keep doing this they'll complete the cycle .3" at a time

sometimes they'll work by just holding the single swipe switch (though this was probably a year ago hen it worked this way when it was acting up).

Yesterday when I left work.... they would go up about 25 degrees and then stop. I'd hit the single swipe switch ad I cold see theygot power, but they would just move foward a little and stop, always stuck in the same position.

I had to work them, one hand pushing the switch, other hand helping by pulling or pushing the windshield wiper arm and eventually it will work fine again (so doesn't seem to be the motor?)

Formula WS6
10-28-2011, 06:27 PM
It could be the either the wiper switch or the delay board on the wiper motor. You'd need to do some pinpoint testing at the delay board/motor to see if it's getting power when you actuate the switch.

10-28-2011, 09:54 PM
i'm assuming the delay board is part of the motor assembly ?

I'm guessing it's this thing as the motor is strong when it works (today I could hit the switch and it worked great).

I just need tog get 1 more winter out of this thing

10-28-2011, 10:42 PM
The delay board is mounted on the wiper motor. You can replace it seprately.
Mechanically binding issues can do odd things also, but I doubt you have a siezed wiper pivot etc on a 04 GTP.

11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
The "stub" that the wiper arm mounts to is a soft aluminum material that is tapered and with ridges on it. The wiper arm has a smooth bore, that is also tapered to match. When the wiper arm is pressed down on it, and the nut is torqued to the torque spec, those ridges on the stub bite into the smooth bore of the wiper arm, which is what causes it to "grip" and operate the wiper arm.

So two things to check, the tightness of that wiper arm nut. And two, the condition of the bore.

I had this happen on our '03 Monte Carlo. I was able to temporarily fix the wiper arm bore by smoothening it out again with a dremel, but the first heavy snow, and it stripped again (I must've taken too much material out of the bore, so it was in effect, loose even when torqued). So with that, I purchased a new arm, and no problems since.

You cannot buy new stubs from GM. It comes as part of the whole wiper transmission system (the linkage). If that was bent, you'd have other issues.