View Full Version : Coblat Lower Control Arm Need help ASAP

Smokn '94 Z
11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
That bitchmotherfucker of a bolt I couldnt get loose last night I did get it to break loose. However I still have to use the long pipe on the end of my breaker bar to turn it a 1/4" at a time. But its biting into the bushing and rebounding back. I know I have gotten it around a couple whole turns but I gotta be honest. That bolt is not backing out at all. I really need some help/advice. Do I have to heat it up to soften that rubber? MOTHERFUCKINGWHORE bushing dont hold up to regular driving but they wont give me that MOTHERFUCKINGWHORE bolt back!!

11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I have seen some nasty seized bolts into bushing sleeves.
They are just a PITA...
If it's beyond the point of soaking it in pentrating oil, depends on the design of the arm/piece that holds the outer circumference of the bushing.

If I can cut the arm away I do that w/ a cut off wheel. Then de-rubberize the center sleeve.
But your cobalt there is little access to cut the arm away :( The subframe covers alot of the access to it.
I have had them do this before. Lots of times I just torch the bushing eyelet open. FIRE lol!
Then use an air hammer to open the eyelet up & get the arm away from the bushing, then procede from there.

The bushing isusually falling apart after this so getting the rubber off is easier.
Then I can heat up the center sleeve with minimal smoke/fire. They usually come right out after that.

Cliff notes;
Air hammer
air powered cut off wheel tool
a good supply of water to quell the fire

Formula WS6
11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, sorry I couldn't get back to ya last night eddie. I didn't get home from work till 9:45 last night and crashed right when I got home. give me a call if you want to swing it by.

Smokn '94 Z
11-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Its cool. I really didnt want to bother you. I brought the car to a shop across the street from work to see what they can do. I will call you in a bit.