PDA

View Full Version : G6 DIC + Radio dead, but can still read the clock and load/eject CDs

Thirdgen89gta
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Had an issue with the G6 this morning, battery is going, and going fast I guess. Pulled into a gas station to get some air for the tires, killed the engine to save gas. Upon trying to start the car it was not having it. Sluggish crank, first few times it would barely do a single revolution. (is now fine after a 30m drive to work, but I'm still going to replace it if it can't hold a charge over 24hrs.

While attempting to get it started the CD mechanism started to go nuts, sounded like it was moving a CD around or loading a single CD, then unloading that CD.

I shut the car off, pulled the key, opened then closed the door and let the car sit for about 10 minutes. Started right up, but the crank was still sluggish, so I'm buying a new battery. It is 5yrs old now I guess I shouldn't expect it to last much longer.

But while getting on the highway to work I noticed the DIC/Radio display was dead. Tried the radio power button, nothing. Tried the info button to change through the various DIC displays. Nothing. The only buttons that make the LCD display anything are the clock, and DISP buttons. Clock displays the time, DISP displays time + CD's that are loaded. I can both load and eject CD's.

When I first noticed that the clock button worked the clock read 12:11pm so I know that when cranking the battery got low enough that it killed power to the car. Still have to check the fuses, along with disconnecting the battery for a while to see if that resets it. But I'm at work now so it'll have to wait.

Video is uploading.

Thirdgen89gta
11-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Video uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSohkv6U_Cc&feature=channel_video_title

Wrencher
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Get the weak battery issue shorted out first. Nodes in the network can be finicky about low system voltage.

Formula WS6
11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Get the weak battery issue shorted out first. Nodes in the network can be finicky about low system voltage.

:likes:........

xpndbl3
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
just park on a hill and pop the clutch to start it up, who needs a battery. :shock:

Thirdgen89gta
11-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Checked the fuses, all good. Pulled the negative terminal and let it sit for 10m. All is well, got my radio and D.I.C. back. Battery is topped off for now. Didn't like any of the ones they had at the autozoo. Jump pack is charged if I need it tomorrow but probably wont.

Was on vacation all last week and the last time I drove the car had been thanksgiving. Bat needs to be replaced but it'll survive this week till I get one I like.

Formula WS6
11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Checked the fuses, all good. Pulled the negative terminal and let it sit for 10m. All is well, got my radio and D.I.C. back. Battery is topped off for now. Didn't like any of the ones they had at the autozoo. Jump pack is charged if I need it tomorrow but probably wont.

Was on vacation all last week and the last time I drove the car had been thanksgiving. Bat needs to be replaced but it'll survive this week till I get one I like.

the colder it gets the worse it's going to get. don't procrastinate, change it before it won't even take a jump and yes that's possible.

Wrencher
11-28-2011, 10:42 PM
You'd be surprised at the volume of problems caused today by a weak or cheap battery.
Combine that with a high amperage draw of a start up (180+) & dropping the battery voltage below 10.5-10.0 or even into the 9 volt range causes big problems.
Some vehicles/MFG's are more sensitive than others.
Not good in the world of solid state DC componets.