View Full Version : Oil pan gasket swap on a '99 Bravada - what am I in for?

12-16-2011, 01:30 PM
A friend of mine noticed the pan gasket on his beater '99 Olds Bravada (4.3L) has been leaking, and asked me to give him a hand replacing it. He's not super mechanically inclined (last time I "helped" him I had to explain "righty tighty lefty loosy") so I'll be doing just about everything except buying the parts and fetching fresh beer.

Am I in for anything over the top complicated? Transfer cases or frame rails in the way or anything? Any tricks or gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance...

Formula WS6
12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
pull the front differential out completely and it should be cake after that

12-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Laying on your back & doing it= no not fun.
I can imagine the corrosion on a 99 DD might be pretty decent too.
I think that has oil cooler lines/or remote filter lines. Those might give you crap.
The diff is Not a fun one to get out of there.

The shortend procedure;
Disconnect battery and remove battery tray. Disconnect shift cable at actuator. Raise and support vehicle. Remove underbody shield from steering linkage and engine oil pan. Drain crankcase. Remove starter motor. Remove oil cooler pipes and both front wheels. Disconnect electrical connector and remove wiring harness bracket at shift cable housing. Remove 3 shift cable housing bolts and disconnect shift cable from differential carrier. Remove both front drive axles. Remove differential housing. Remove 10 oil pan bolts, 2 nuts at crankshaft rear oil seal and remove 2 transmission to oil pan bolts. Remove oil pan from vehicle

Reverse procedure to intall....

Sure it's the pan? Ya they might seep some but see oil cooler lines alot more than the pan causing a leak.
Maybe it's the line, the sender or?

12-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Are you sure it's the pan gasket and not those oil cooler lines, which then while driving blow oil onto the pan? Those things leak from brand new it seems.

12-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it. If it's actually the pan gasket then this sounds like something I really don't want to do.

I haven't actually gotten under the truck yet, so I'll take a look and see if you're right and perhaps it's the cooler lines.

Formula WS6
12-17-2011, 02:25 PM
The cooler lines are most likely your issue as they are with 99% of all the s10 4.3's on the road

12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Yep you guys called it - cooler lines were leaking.

The entire underside of the truck was SOAKED in oil. I went through 10 cans of Brakekleen trying to clean up the mess (and 100x as many brain cells, I'm sure... whoo boy the garage still stinks!) Wiped everything down, dried it out, fired up the truck, and as soon as we gave it some throttle, a nice bubble formed right at the fitting between the rubber hose and hard line down by the remote filter mount.

$50 at NAPA and I had a new hose in my hand.

Also picked up the other hose (that goes between the filter housing and the block), as while it wasn't leaking, figured it probably wasn't far behind. But I couldn't figure out how to get the old hose out! Used a series of swivel sockets and extensions to get all the bolts out but couldn't get it past the oil pan/front diff - the big knot at the end of the hose was too big. Rather than unbolt and drop the front diff (his girlfriend was getting crabby that it was taking so long) I just put the old tube back in, and for now, am hoping for the best :)

Thanks again for the tips!