PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body cleaning on I6 Trailblazer

pugs
01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Parents Trailblazer has an issue and what I have read over at Trailvoy is to clean the throttle body. What I was wondering is there any way to safely use an ultrasonic cleaner on one of these throttle bodies?

Also anything special to look for when cleaning? Their guide over there just says clean carbon but are there any small orifices/ports that need special attention or any areas that need special looking at?

S8ER01Z
01-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I used carb cleaner and seems like the stupid pos needs a cleaning every few moths now or it dies while idling (or when the ac kicks on).

There wasn't anything difficult about it and only a few small spots on the throttle body to clean. I just unbolted it and cleaned it on both sides.

pugs
01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Hmmm, what would cause it to need more frequent cleaning? That I would like to avoid. Theirs has over 100k on it I think and its never been cleaned.

Formula WS6
01-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Not a big deal really.( 4 )10 mm bolts and pop it off, hose it down with brake cleaner while avoiding moving the throttle blade. If you move it, it's not the end of the world it's just not recommended to avoid causing tps issues with the throttle blade

You remove it to be able to clean the back side that you couldn't otherwise get to by just spraying the intake side

pugs
01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Not a big deal really.( 4 )10 mm bolts and pop it off, hose it down with brake cleaner while avoiding moving the throttle blade. If you move it, it's not the end of the world it's just not recommended to avoid causing tps issues with the throttle blade

You remove it to be able to clean the back side that you couldn't otherwise get to by just spraying the intake side

Yah I was wondering about that. The guide on Trailvoy doesnt mention any bad things about moving it. They actually tell you to move the blade.

xpndbl3
01-02-2012, 12:43 PM
if it's drive by cable, I flip them around all the time to clean. No clue on that fancy drive by wire stuff out now.

S8ER01Z
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure why it seems to need cleaning more often. We've had nothing but issues with this trailblazer, 117k on it now and it just acts up at random. Latest one throws the SES light when you use the cruise control. I haven't bothered looking into this one yet.

Wrencher
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
There is a sort of relearn after you clean a TAC throttle body on GM's.
It's not going to idle right until it learns so it may die hunt idle etc.
The right scan tool will clear it. But most times idle in P & D each for a minute & the same w/ A/C on then a test drive with high P/S load input will take care of it.
Have replaced quite a few of these for the 4.2's over the years also.

pugs
01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
P/S Load?

Also what scan tool would you need to clear the problems up? Or what capability does the scan tool need?

Wrencher
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
A GM software specific scan tool. With bi-directional controls & relearn/case learn capabilities.
The term OBD-II here does not apply.
P/S puts a load on an idling engine, there is an input for it + the physical load is "learned".

pugs
01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
A GM software specific scan tool. With bi-directional controls & relearn/case learn capabilities.
The term OBD-II here does not apply.
P/S puts a load on an idling engine, there is an input for it + the physical load is "learned".

What do you mean by P/S?

Formula WS6
01-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Power steering

When operating the power steering the PCM kicks up the idle to compensate for the load it puts on the engine.

S8ER01Z
01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Damn it I hate that trailblazer the more I learn about it. Probably screwed it up the first time it was cleaned. :(

joeZ96
01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
After I replaced the thermostat this summer and reconnected the battery, mine would stall out with the air on as well (75K miles). I simply pulled the throttle body and cleaned it with actual throttle body cleaner from Autozone. Reinstalled throttle body and good to go. I moved the blade back and forth and never had a problem. Other than the inside bottom of the doors starting to rust, I like my Trailblazer (2003 I6 LS 4x4) a lot. I bought it new and it has needed the usual maintenance items (tie-rods, Bilsteins, thermostat, alternator, battery, swaybar endlinks, new set of rubber, brakes, fan clutch, transmission cooler lines rusted out). Over the years I've also installed a remote starter, Pioneer headunit, and I just got done with XM install this weekend. Check out trailvoy.com.

pugs
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Power steering

When operating the power steering the PCM kicks up the idle to compensate for the load it puts on the engine.

Thats what I thought he meant but just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

S8ER01Z
01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
After I replaced the thermostat this summer and reconnected the battery, mine would stall out with the air on as well (75K miles). I simply pulled the throttle body and cleaned it with actual throttle body cleaner from Autozone. Reinstalled throttle body and good to go. I moved the blade back and forth and never had a problem. Other than the inside bottom of the doors starting to rust, I like my Trailblazer (2003 I6 LS 4x4) a lot. I bought it new and it has needed the usual maintenance items (tie-rods, Bilsteins, thermostat, alternator, battery, swaybar endlinks, new set of rubber, brakes, fan clutch, transmission cooler lines rusted out). Over the years I've also installed a remote starter, Pioneer headunit, and I just got done with XM install this weekend. Check out trailvoy.com.

I think I'm just jaded... my 01 Camaro has had tires, clutch and brake replacements. Our 2004 trailblazer seems to eat parts.